Thursday, November 20, 2014

Trisetella regia

Trisetella regia is, relatively speaking, the giant of the genus, and well-named regia or "regal."  Most of the plants in the genus are tiny, only a few centimeters tall, with small flowers (1.5-2 cm) on short flower spikes.  This species is 7 cm tall with long 20 cm flower spikes and 4 cm flowers.  The flowers are typical in shape and color for the genus and have the long "tails" for which the genus is named.  Their obvious resemblance to Masdevallias had them classified as Masdevallias at one time.





10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think this came from you, Kevin. Did you never bloom it? In any case, thanks for the visit and comments.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, it came from me. I got two buds, but only one opened. It looks very, very happy!

      Delete
    3. I was sure of it but also looked up my records. If you ever want it back....

      Delete
  2. I appreciate that. It looks right at home in your collection, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly am enjoying it. It is so very different from the other Trisetellas in its size, though, of course, the flowers are clearly Trisetella.

      Delete
  3. It is a wonderful kind! I love it. Fantastic photographs Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angel. I always appreciate your kindness.

      Delete
  4. I've read that regia comes from higher altitude than most Trisetella. I wonder if night temperatures play a part in blooming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure. I give my plants more light (longer days) in the winter along with cooler temps and this always blooms for me during the winter. I have noticed that the flowers develop a bit better in cooler temps, i.e., are a bit larger and not contorted.

      Delete