Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Laelia sincorana

Though still a miniature, especially in comparison to most of the Cattleyas and to other of the Laelias, this is one of the larger orchids I grow, and certainly has the largest flowers of any of my orchids.  The plant is about 10 cm tall and the flowers about the same size.  The species is from Brazil and has been recently reclassified as a Cattleya.  I still think of it as a Laelia, however, and have difficulty adopting the name change.



The plant only ever produces one flower and does not bloom on every growth, but seems to bloom seasonally.  I grow it mounted under the highest light I can give it, and hold back watering a bit when the growths mature, though there are usually new growths started at the same time.  The lighter colored, flatter flower below is from another plant, slightly smaller and with a smaller flower as well.

6 comments:

  1. So Beautiful. I can't plant this Laelia at my garden. Not tolerate to my environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is more intermediate growing and tolerant of higher temperatures. I would not be at all surprised if you were able to grow it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prezado Ron! Na busca por informação do cultivo da laelia sincorana encontrei seu blog, que muito adorei. Gostaria se fosse possível me dar umas dicas de qual substrato eu deveria usar para o seu cultivo. Vendo alguns site encontrei algumas informações, mas muito vaga, se falava mais em taxonomia da mesma, inclusive a informação de um site que ela poderia ser cultivada em cortiça. Ficarei-lhe muito grato se puder me dar alguma informação.
    Atenciosamente.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello my friend and thanks for your comments. I grow this on a half of a piece of branch that is about 4 inches wide and 8 inches long. It is grown with other cool-growing species including Masdevallias with temperatures ranging from 50-75 degrees (fahrenheit), but it should do well at warmer temperatures also. I give it very high light, right up near a bank of HO 48 inch fluorescent bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have coerulea var. of this species. It grows nicely, produced about 8 new p-bulbs under my care, but refuses to bloom. I now read that it needs dry rest. When? I grow in a glass tank under lights intermediate temps, with no seasonal changes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't give this species a rest and at least in my collection it doesn't seem to need it. It gets watered with everything else and blooms faithfully every spring.

    ReplyDelete