Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Lepanthes ribes

I had given this plant up for dead but noticed today that it was putting up new growth and had even produced a flower, so I moved it to a more suitable location  in the hope it will flourish there.  It comes from Ecuador and Colombia and is only about 6 cm tall, but the flower is nearly 1.5 cm.  As is often the case with Lepanthes, it bears its flowers on thin, wiry spikes, in this case about 6 cm long.  The name of the species, ribes, refers to its fancied resemblance of the flowers to the fruits of plants in the genus Ribes.




2 comments:

  1. That's a nice one, Ron, but it is a Lepanthes ribes, not caprimulgus ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had L. ribes on the tag and was so sure I had it wrong that I posted it as L. caprimulus. Should have looked.

      Delete