Monday, July 27, 2015

Dendrobium Gina Perlite 'Crystal White'

Dendrobium Gina Perlite is a hybrid of Dendrobium cuthbertsonii and Dendrobium prasinum.  It has, more or less, the growth habit of Dendrobium cuthbertsonii, though the leaves do not have the pebbled surface of that species and the growths are generally a little fatter and larger.  Its flowers certainly look like the flowers of Dendrobium cuthbersonii.  The pale yellow flowers are 4 cm long and 3 cm across the face of the flower, but the clonal name is misleading since the flowers are very definitely not crystal white.



8 comments:

  1. That's a very nicely grown and bloomed plant Ron! I have this hybrid too, and I find it quite hard to grow well. maybe my 10°C winter minimums are too low for it. anyhow, I love it, both in sulfur yellow and in dark pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does well for me, Laurent. Seems to have a lot of hybrid vigor and because it does so well wouldn't mind having it in the yellow and pink. Are your plants from the cross made by Tom Perlite, or has the cross been done by someone else?

      Delete
  2. Hi Ron

    yes my 2 yellow & 1 pink clones are all from Tom Perlite. All my attempts to remake it using prasinum pollen on cuthbertsonii flower failed. My biggest prasinum has several spikes, so I may try the cross on that plant. But priority would first be to make a prasinum outcross pod :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would the problem with using cuthbertsonii pollen on prasinum be that the cross would look too much like cuthbertsonii?

      Delete
  3. ho no, that's the opposite: the pod parent can influence more the color of the hybrid, than the pollen parent. But the difference can be very small, if any. And most other characters (size, shape, ...) should be equivalent for one cross or the reverse.
    What excites me somewhat is to remake this hybrid with red/yellow cuthbertsonii pollen :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't done any hybridizing so don't know much about it. Would love to see a remake.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. I appreciate the interest.

      Delete