Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Dendrobium oreodoxa x cuthbertsonii

I purchased this hybrid several years ago and as far as I know it is still unnamed.  It is a hybrid of the micro-miniature Dendrobium cuthbertsonii from section Oxyglossum and the much larger cane-type Dendrobium oreodoxa from section Calyptrochilus, both species from New Guinea.  The hybrid seems little influenced by the Dendrobium oreodoxa parent.  Both plant and flowers look like the other parent.  The individual growths are less than 3 cm and the flowers are nearly 4 cm long.



10 comments:

  1. very nice Ron! reminds me of my melinanthum x cuthbertsonii! Do you know who made the cross?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who made it, Laurent. I got it off Ebay but the person who was selling it was not the originator. Pretty, though. Still waiting for some of the crosses I got from you to bloom.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for featuring this beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my friend. Appreciate your interest.

      Delete
  3. Very nice! The canes look a little fatter than cuthbertsonii and its other crosses. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy enough with it. Wish the flowers were a bit more open, but that's nature of the cross, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Indeed, although the seed parents have widely open flat flowers, my cuth hybrids with melinanthum or mohlianum have quite tubular flowers. As you say, that must be the nature of the cross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures of D. oreodoxa I saw did not have very widely opened flowers. I guess if they are one would have hoped for something a little less tubular.

      Delete
  5. The orchid world is so small... Jacob Knecht told me you got this plant from him! and he got it from Tom Perlite, who got the protocorms from... me! that was so many years ago, I didn't even remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is simply amazing, Laurent. A very small world indeed.

      Delete