Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Dendrobium cuthbertsonii

I have so many different plant of this species, that I don't remember whether or not I posted this one recently, and haven't bothered to check.  This, again, is Dendrobium cuthbertsonii, one of the most desirable of all miniature orchids.  It is from New Guinea and from the Oxyglossum section of the genus Dendrobium.  The plants vary slightly in size but at most are only a few centimeters tall with flowers that dwarf the plant.  This particular plant has very large flowers and has bicolor (two-toned) flowers.




4 comments:

  1. Positively excellent clone! so big flower, its probably a line-bred/polyploid one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is, Laurent. I got this from Tom Perlite at Golden Gate Orchids.

      Delete
  2. ho yes, Tom made lots of selection, and I think got some of his breeding stock from ploidy-treated flasks! Some people prefer the more "wild type" clones, but I'm really fond of those "man-made monsters" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, too. Tom has some excellent plants, but I don't hear much from him these days.

      Delete