Monday, October 26, 2015

Trisetella hoeijeri

Trisetella hoeijeri is a tiny species from Ecuador that was once classified as Masdevallia.  Most of the Trisetellas have small reddish-brown flowers with short tails, but this one, obviously, is different.  The plant is a few centimeters tall and the flowers are 4 cm from tip to tip.  The plant should be grown mounted and cool with plenty of water.  For some reason my plant only produced a couple of flowers this winter and probably needs just a little more light.






6 comments:

  1. by far my favourite Trisetella! I saw hundreds of them in situ, sadly not in the blooming period...
    In my experience they bloom in several flushes beginning in autumn, so you still may have a bigger blooming a bit later ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laurent. It is my favorite Trisetella, too, though I'm fond of them all. The flowers on the others, though, are all somewhat the same.

      Delete
  2. I really wonder how flower shapes would "melt" in hybrids! I've a batch of nearly adult hoeijerii x triglochin, and a much younger batch of regia x hoijerii :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound amazing, Laurent. Years ago I did a bunch of Masdevallia-Trisetella hybrids, as well as some Trisetella hybrids, but the guy who was doing all the flasking for me went out of business and I never got anything from him. Haven't really tried any hybridizing since.

      Delete
  3. well, today I found one flask of my first Trisetella intergeneric: M. chaparensis x T. regia. they're very poorly rooted, but the size is decent for deflasking. and I've to do it right now, as the flask is contaminated on one side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an interesting cross. Can't even imagine what it would be like.

      Delete