Monday, August 8, 2016

Dendrobium hellwigianum


I have two different plants of Dendrobium hellwigianum, the other one of them a paler pink and with more of a bluish cast to the flowers.  The species seems easy enough to grow when given cool temperatures and high light.  In this case the plant is 10 cm tall and the individual flowers between 3 and 4 cm and usually produced in pairs at the top of the pseudobulb and between the narrow channeled leaves.  Like all the Oxyglossum Dendrobiums the flowers are very long-lasting.







6 comments:

  1. I noticed the yellowing of the tips of the leaves. That has also happened to my hellwigianum x violaceum (which behaves primarily like hellwigianum in vegetative and floral form) and I was wondering if it has something to do with light levels or with some other aspect of culture. What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm giving it a bit too much light, Josh. I have another clone and am having less trouble with yellow leaf tips on it, and it's 4-6 inches further from the lights.

      Delete
    2. I've noticed the same phenomenon with my D. seranicum when I grow it at high light levels (with which my cuthbertsonii seem to do well). The LED grow lights I use are probably a little too intense for these more delicate leaved species.

      Delete
    3. I agree and have moved it further away from the HO tubes I use.

      Delete
  2. Wonderfully bloomed specimen, by the way!

    ReplyDelete